We’ve all heard it, if not said it “I can’t have just one piece”.. “That wouldn’t last a day in my household”... “I start and I just can’t stop”. When it comes to seeing results and good nutrition CONTROL goes very much hand in hand with the right strategy and method. What you may not realise is your lack of self control is your dieting practice crying out for help, or that there’s a binge eating matter at hand or missing piece of the puzzle somewhere along the line.
So why may you not be able to control yourself around food?
Our Equalution client Janelle, down 13kgs with a complete change in body composition. This was achieved through a flexible diet approach allowing her to enjoy her favourite foods such as burgers, chocolate and cookies, among lean meats and vegetables.
1. Your current method is too restrictive: you’re likely categorising food as good or bad and in turn depriving yourself of ‘indulgences’ which is creating a temptation that’s kind of like a ticking time bomb.
2. You might be hungry: if you’re thinking that you might find yourself sitting down to a meal and not wanting to stop eating you could be under eating and lacking control when the opportunity arises for a feed.
3. Your eating pattern sucks: you’re skipping meals, you’re getting through the day with coffees, you’re binging at night and then not eating the next day only to be ravishing the day after but bottom line - you don’t have structure. While meal timing isn’t responsible for better results it gives you structure that without it might cause inconsistencies in how little or how much you eat.
4. You’re doing a copy cat diet: so you’ve seen the hot Instagram model who gone plant based or pescatarian and you’re trying to mimic an eating style that just isn’t at the root of your food preferences. Naturally you’re going to go balls to the wall if the method proves unsustainable. REMEMBER nutrition for health and results is a numbers game - get your macro and micro nutrient intake needs right and use foods YOU love to meet these.
5. You’re on a countdown diet: whether a cheat meal or a diet with an end date you’re inevitably going to have no control with food if you’re constantly counting down till the next run a muck!
6. You’re a binge eater: this is a sensitive conclusion because binge eating is a very real and very prominent issue - one that we are very passionate about aiding. Binge eating is psychologically triggered by urges or emotions and is the overconsumption of food in mass amounts in one sitting with zero control and almost a non existent consciousness or presence. Solving a binge eating issue requires mental training and management of ‘urges’, this is best done with professional assistance but the most successful combinations of resolution have been a balanced diet (such as flexible dieting) and giving the process enough time, patience and consistency - DO NOT GIVE UP!
7. You have a bad relationship with food: you might be a yo-yo dieter, low calorie dieter, forever dieting and forever without success, turn to food emotionally and so on but in turn you may just have a poor relationship with food.
8. Your experiences have influenced your interaction with food: this is quite commonly relative to children forbidden of certain foods or competitors even who have only known chicken and broccoli out of Tupperware in an on season. Contextually, your past may have tarnished how you are around food and may lead to lack of self control.
9. You’re trying to be perfect: trying to be on point 24/7 to the point of not eating out, weighing every single thing, calorie counting chewing gum, trying to counteract errors with cardio quite simply will send you crazy. Craziness when trying to be an on point diet may very well lead to rebellion and outbreak when ‘the goods’ are placed in front of you.
10. You need more self discipline: some people don’t have a bad relationship with food or even give food much thought but quite simply need to get harder and tougher on themselves and get their SH@$ together when it comes to pulling in the reigns on portion control.
KEY TAKE HOME POINTS
✅ Have a balanced and flexible diet
✅ Avoid skipping meals
✅ Don’t deprive yourself calorically
✅ Ensure your diet is customised to your intake needs (for your health and results) and your food preferences so you want to adhere
✅ Don’t periodically diet aim for a lifestyle change
✅ Address and be active about managing binge eating issues and seek professional help
✅ Don’t forever diet - enjoy holidays, enjoy dining out, enjoy festivities, enjoy less rigid days
✅ Be tough: gaining fat can only be caused by eating too much, know when enough is enough and when enjoyment turns into overindulgence and gorging.
Last week we began a monthly newsletter exclusive for the Equalution clients for tips and tricks on their body transformation journey. One success we had from this was the enjoyment of a macro friendly recipe we shared and will do so monthly. We’d like to offer all our subscribers the same content in a diet friendly recipe our clients and their families are loving right now! Introducing month one's diet friendly feature dish:
THE HOMEMADE BEEF BURGER
Here’s our favourite low calorie finds that keep it top notch in taste:
You will need:
La Fournee Brioche Buns (160 cals each) at Woolworths, sometimes Coles - also a variation available at Aldi
Extra Lean Beef Mince (130 calories per 100g)
Bega 50% Less Fat Cheese Slices (Less than 50 calories a slice)
Fountain No Sugar Added Sauce
Want to eat delicious foods like this and lose weight? You can! But here’s some benefits of coaching during the process:
✅ You learn the intake goals of your body
✅ You have food you love fit into your customised meal plan
✅Your individual data is used and accounted for in strategising the numeric needs of your body
✅ Your lifestyle like having a family and socialising is customised to
What can go wrong otherwise:
- You might be eating too much
- You might not be eating enough
- You may have an imbalance in macronutrients
- You may be failing to address an eating disorder
- You may need a new strategy or direction
Contact us today - the body transformation experts that customise your science based diet for results without you even feeling as though you’re dieting! #WINNING!!!
Yours in Health & Fitness,
The Equalution Team